Mazut is a dark brown or sometimes thick black liquid product, and it’s a combination of heavy oil residues or secondary processing products of that (boiling at temperatures below 360°C-350°C) after the distillation of gasoline, kerosene and diesel fuel.
mazut can also be obtained from coal and oil shales but this kind of mazut is better to be used in the place where it was produced, for this reason, they are not produced in large volumes.
Properties of mazut:
In fact, mazut is a combination of hydrocarbons (by 400-1000 molecular weight), petroleum resins (by 500-1000 molecular weight), carbons, carbides, asphaltenes and organic compounds containing metals (such as NI, V, iron, magnesium, sodium, and calcium).
The physicochemical properties of a particular sample of fuel depend on the quality of that particular portion of the raw material (high sulfur oil or high paraffin oil) processing, mixing and storage conditions that enter the refinery.
Chemical composition of mazut:
Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, and ash are the chemical compounds of mazut. the blend of mazut has a viscosity of up to 88.5% carbon, up to 11.5% hydrogen as well as a high percentage of sulfur and nitrogen.
mazut has the following characteristics:
- viscosity 8-80 mm²/s (100°C)
- density 0.89-1 gr/cm² (20°C)
- shedding temperature 10-40°C
- the amount of sulfur 0.5-3.5%
- the amount of ash up to 0.3%
- the lowest heat produced by burning is 39.4-40.7 MJ/mol.
uses of mazut:
Major consumers of mazut are the naval and river fleets, housing and public services and industry.
fields of mazut application:
- as fuel for boilers, all types of boiler plants and industrial furnaces (boiler heating oil, eg M100).
- as raw material for the production of marine diesel, heavy engine fuel, diesel cross engines, and bunker fuel.
- as raw material for the production of engine oil, coke, bitumen, and lubricants.
Result Component No 0.1 Ash content, not more than % 1 0.5 mass fraction of sulfur, not more than %- low- sulfur- residual- oil 2 0.5% water content 3 lower than 5 mg KOH /100 ml Acidity 4 40 K ppm 5 10 Ca ppm 6 Test method Specification Unit Test D-1298 MAX 990 KG/M3 Density@15DC D-445 MAX 180 CST Kinematic Viscosity@50DC D-97 MAX 25 DC Pour point D-93 MIN 65 DC Flash point D-1796 MAX 1.0 WT% Ash Test method Specification Unit Test D-1298 MAX 970 KG/M3 Density @ 15DC D-97 MAX 24 DC Pour point D-93 MIN 65 DC Flash point D-1552 MAX 3.5 WT% Sulfur total D-482 MAX 0.05 WT% Ash